June 28, 2016
Wirepas launches a dedicated connectivity product for lighting applications – Wirepas Connectivity for Lighting
Wirepas, a global device connectivity provider, is extending its product portfolio to lighting. The new product is based on the unique Wirepas Connectivity protocol, and it is optimized to fulfill the needs of various lighting use cases.
Lighting is one of the largest infrastructures in the world. It can be divided into outdoor, industrial, commercial and home lighting. The main use case in Smart Lighting is better control of the luminaires which in turn brings considerable energy savings and lighting quality to users. On top of that, preventive maintenance functionality increases efficiency and reduces downtime.
– We see a great momentum for connected smart lighting – the ecosystems are being built right now. We have already received orders for over half a million connected smart street lights, Wirepas CEO Teppo Hemiä highlights.
In a Smart Building and Smart City context the lighting offers a much wider horizon of IoT applications. The lighting infrastructure can form an IoT communication network for a number of different applications, such as environmental sensoring, advertising, positioning.
– Wirepas Connectivity for Lighting is a natural next step for us and a logical example of our value proposition. The ability to flexibly optimize the connectivity solution to the needs of the customer’s business case and application is crucial to the development and growth of IoT based business. With our focus on the software we are able to optimize the network according to the actual application requirements, Hemiä summarizes.
The lighting is powered so energy efficiency is not a critical issue for the luminaires but usually the connected sensors need to be battery-operated. Also, density, range and demanding environments such as basements and deep indoors pose a challenge to the network.
Wirepas Connectivity for Lighting offers a de-centralized connectivity for large-scale outdoor and indoor lighting and also for the connected beacons and sensors used in the same area.
The main features and benefits of Wirepas Connectivity for Lighting include:
• Low infrastructure cost. Standard radio components. No dedicated routers or repeaters needed
• Easy incremental deployment as a part of regular maintenance
• Connected luminaires provide an access point for variety of IoT sensors
• Low latency – less than 10 ms per hop for the luminaires
• Low energy – 10+ years of battery autonomy for connected sensors and beacons
• No extra communication devices are required.
• High node to gateway ratio minimizes backhaul data plan costs. Deterministic bandwidth independent of scale
– With Wirepas Connectivity the lights, sensors and beacons can be inter-connected via a wireless de-centralized network at any scale. The unique features of Wirepas Connectivity for Lighting provides a perfect fit for efficiently managing lights and the related devices. Fully automatic network operation provides easy installation and requires no maintenance for the network. It also enables remote firmware updates that can otherwise be a costly operation for large-scale networks, Wirepas CTO Ville Kaseva highlights.
* Teppo Hemiä, CEO, +358 (0)50 561 0198, teppo.hemia(at).wirepas.com
* Sebastian Linko, Vice President, Marketing and Communications, +358 (0)40 023 6607, sebastian.linko(at)wirepas.com
Wirepas in brief
Wirepas is focused on providing the most reliable, optimized, scalable and easy to use device connectivity for its customers. Wirepas Connectivity is a de-centralized radio communications protocol that can be used in any device, with any radio chip and on any radio band. With Wirepas Connectivity there is no need for traditional repeaters, because every wireless device is a smart router of the network. The connected devices form the network – easy as that. Wirepas has its headquarters in Tampere, Finland and offices in Brazil, Germany, France, South Korea and the United States.
Things connected – Naturally. www.wirepas.com