Wirepas, leading innovator in the IoT connectivity market, releases Wirepas Mesh 5.0 with disruptive improvements and new features.
Wirepas Mesh is a wireless connectivity technology for massive IoT. Wirepas Mesh running in the devices enables a scalable, reliable, and cost-efficient IoT solution. The network provides one horizontal connectivity layer for all IoT use cases: collect data from your sensors to an IoT application in the cloud, control remotely located devices, communicate device-to-device in the network with or without cloud and track the location of moving assets.
Wirepas launches Wirepas Mesh 5.0 to further improve its offering and standing in the global IoT connectivity market. The release further improves the existing qualities of the technology and introduces new features that cater to different applications ranging from logistics to industry 4.0 and smart lighting.
The highlights of these improvements and features are the increase of the address space from the impressive 16 million to an astonishing 4 billion devices in one single network and new open in-band joining protocol to further ease deployments.
Wirepas Mesh technology before 5.0
Wirepas Mesh is a low memory footprint connectivity protocol stack for massive IoT. The protocol stack covers all the core communication protocol layers (layers 2-4, MAC, routing, and transport) with fully automatic operation, and runs on off-the-shelf BLE radios.
Wirepas Mesh is based on local decision making in all its operations. It provides high interference-tolerance by automatically choosing the optimal frequency channels per link to operate on and avoiding channels that are crowded by other wireless devices in the area. Wirepas Mesh is especially well-suited for IoT applications requiring high scalability and reliability.
Examples of record-breaking installations:
- Scale: To date the largest network deployed with Wirepas Mesh includes over 700 000 devices, in a single network.
- Density: One of the densest installations has more than 1 500 devices networking in on cube meter (m3), continuously optimizing the topology and without a single packet collision.
- Reliability: Independent of the network size or density, we see better than 99.9% message delivery reliabilities. And this is while co-existing with other wireless systems, such as Wi-Fi, in the same area.
Wirepas Mesh meets different application needs, from low power networks to systems requiring high throughput and low latencies.
Examples of such applications:
- End-to-end condition monitoring and tracking of goods in logistics where self-forming battery-operated networks are a requirement. Most locations in the supply chain, such as ports and vessels in ocean transport, can only be equipped with battery-powered infrastructure.
- Lighting control where low latencies are required from the switches and sensors to the lights. Lighting control itself is not necessarily that data intensive. When discussing the beyond lighting applications, i.e. using the connected lights as a communication backbone for additional services, such as heatmapping using occupancy sensors or real-time asset tracking, also high data throughput starts to play a key role. Wirepas Mesh is the leading technology choice for smart lighting due its abilities for fast light control and high data throughput.
- Industry 4.0 applications, such as preventive maintenance where the wireless sensors need to be close to the measured machines themselves e.g.to measure vibrations of machines. This makes wiring impractical or uneconomical making battery-powered devices mandatory. Since each of the sensors can also forward data of the other sensors, the communication reliability and coverage are easily maintained in e.g. a factory floor full of metal.
Improvements & new features of Wirepas Mesh 5.0
The improvements and new features of the Wirepas 5.0 release are an outcome of strategic development discussions with the existing partners and industry leading innovators. One of the major improvements is the renewed frame structure. This enables backward and forward compatibility, which means that Wirepas Mesh is future proof and new features can be added without compromising the compatibility. This new frame structure also means support for more nodes in one single network, from current 16 million to 4 billion nodes. Additionally, the new frame structure offers Wirepas customers multi-vendor and multiplatform networks. Wirepas Mesh 5.0 further strengthens Wirepas’ IPR position and includes several new patent pending innovations.
The main performance improvements are:
- 2x throughput gives better QoS in for data-intensive applications. This means that you can send more data per device or have more devices with the existing data load. In hard numbers: Wirepas Mesh network can now handle 150 packets per second via one gateway, giving an effective application data throughput of roughly 120 kbit/s. The extension of the network capacity stays as easy as always. Add gateways to the network to multiply the capacity, the automatic load balancing handles the rest.
- Local multicast improves the performanceof intra-network / node-to-node group communication. This is extremely valuable in large scale lighting control installations by limiting the multicast messaging only to the group area and still enabling all the lights to be in the same mesh network for the additional services.
- Synchronous neighbour discovery essentially means is that now devices can discover neighbours synchronously instead of scanning. This leads to lower overhead resulting in better performance. The neighbour discovery can be done continuously in the background, without disrupting the data flow in the network. This leads to a more robust and reactive network, as all the neighbours and their link qualities are known all the time, even under changing conditions. As a result, Wirepas Mesh is even more performant, reliable and has lower power consumption.
In the ease-of use there are two main features:
- Gatewayless operation means that now Wirepas Mesh networks can work without a gateway communicating only between the nodes themselves, without any connection to the outside world. The operation is a requirement in the lighting for basic lighting control to dim/on/off lights and the data doesn’t need to flow through the network itself. The networks can be augmented with gateways later, if needed, to enable uplink and downlink communication between the nodes and a back-end system.
- Easier commissioning of the customer products in the Wirepas Mesh network. New nodes that do not yet have network security material, can have a limited access to the network to authenticate to a provisioning server and automatically and securely exchange provisioning data to become fully authorized members of the network. The open join can be run-time switched on/off, per node, if more control is needed to the times when new nodes can attempt to join the network. This eases the multi-source of sensors and allows stocking of materials before the target use is known. On the other hand, this enables network visits and roaming between different networks and hence extends the service if wanted between different businesses.
The release of Wirepas Mesh 5.0 greatly benefits current Wirepas Mesh licensees, due to the improvements to the technology and new features enabling the expansion of business opportunities to new use cases and applications. For new partners and customers, Wirepas Mesh 5.0 brings ease of use, fast installation and key features for a variety of applications. This release is a statement to the continuous development Wirepas does by having an open dialogue with its partners and customers regarding their needs for the connectivity and the strategic partnership Wirepas holds with leading industry innovators.
Contact your regional sales contact to license Wirepas Mesh 5.0. Find your regional contact here: https://wirepas.com/contact/